Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Sewing: Kitchen Curtains

I love making curtains. Why? I can get a custom look in my home with some wonderful designer fabric and most of the sewing is straight lines. Seriously, I am not adding darts, collars, etc. just sew straight.
However, my kitchen has seven, yes, seven windows. So I need seven valances
So we started with this beautiful fabric.
167
Carefully cut out 7 valances. I say careful because each valance has to match the other 6 valances. So we have to take into consideration, the repeat of the fabric.
169
On the side of the fabric, there is a marker that identifies the repeat. This fabric repeats every 24 inches.
170
Also, the fabric tells you which way is up.. sometimes, it is hard to tell.
190
The finished valance will be 17 1/2 inches. So I add 10 inches to cover both the bottom hem and top of the curtain.
172
Next I cut 7 pieces of lining, 27 1/2 inch long. Laying the lining and the fabric together, wrong sides together.
173
First I fold in both the side of the valances.
174
Next, fold the hem, up one inch
176
Then another 3 1/2 inches.
Repeat on the top, folding up 1 inch and then another 4 inches.
Next, on the top of the valance, I sew two seams, two 1/2 inches from the top and 3 1/2 inches from the top. The channel is for the curtain rod.

Look how pretty!!



In this set of windows, notice the same repeat is on the same valances.


Tomorrow, I will show you my remodeled kitchen.
P.S. I am feeling better but slow to get back to blogging...







5 comments:

  1. Very pretty Cynthia! I'm looking forward to the kitchen reveal.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that blue with the floral. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cynthia, they are lovely. I'm impressed and inspired. I need to pull out my sewing machine. How do you do all that you do?!?!?!?

    Susan at Charm of the Carolines

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful curtains! I've sewn for years and never knew about that repeat marker. How nice to learn! Thank you!

    Cathy ♥

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia