Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Confession: Progress Report!


Yesterday at 3:30. I had a total knee replacement on my left knee. It went very well. I have been in excruciating knee pain for seven years.

I use to walk 3 miles a day at 6:00 AM with three Old English Sheepdogs, every week day, except if there was a thunderstorm. In the three years I walked faithfully, there were two thunderstorms at 5:30 in the morning.

Needless to say, I was a dedicated walker, who lost 50 pounds. The dogs felt good and so did I, until May 2003. What started as a little stiffness became full fledged arthritc pain. By last fall, I could barely walk. I plan my days around my knee. I plan vacations around my knees.

Well ladies, enough was enough and I made the decision that no matter how frightened I was of surgery, I was more frightened of being an old lady before my time.

So here is my left knee without scars and damaged beyond repair. I now have a new bionic knee, covered on dressings along with an 8 to 10 inch scar.


IT IS 2:00 am and everytime I fall asleep a bell goes off or a nurse comes in the room.

I will keep you posted!!!

18 comments:

  1. Praying for a speedy recovery Cynthia and just in time for spring:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cynthia,
    My mom had a hip replacement in her early 50's. She was in so much pain before the surgery, and she didn't want that to be how she finished out her life. The surgery was the best thing she could have done. It gave her back a normal pain free life. It has been 18 years since the surgery, and she has done fantastic. You made the right decision!!! Before you know it, you and the dogs will be back to walking your 3 miles again. We will keep you in our prayers!
    grace and peace,
    julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just left you a message on Facebook. Hoping you have a great recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, my mother is the only person I know that would stay up and write a blog 5 hrs after she woke up from surgery! Thank you for all your prays. It's going to be a good recovery!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bless your heart, sweet friend!

    Praying for your full and quick recovery!!!!

    ~Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cynthia, praying for a speedy recovery for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll be praying for a quick and speedy recovery.

    Last Aug. my dad had a left knee replacement...and I spent time back home helping with his recovery!

    He's like new! Now, on to his right knee!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sending warm and healing thouhts your direction for a complete and speedy recovery.

    Susan at Charm of the Carolines

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love what Shanna said. I can't believe you were texting me and being your funny, adorable usual self!!! :) I definitely know you came out of the anesthesia okay!!!

    And I'm proud of you and I know it was scary and you don't like to be held down, but in the long run it'll help you get back to your old self.

    Say "goodbye" to the pain and hello to the new "Bionic Cynthia!"

    (((HUGS!!!)))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Cynthia! I hope you recover very quickly and feel a million times better. Do you know what brought that knee problem on?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to know surgery went well. I hope you have a fast recovery. Keep us posted, mmm-kay?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cynthia, I hope your recovery is quick! My mom had both her knee's done... and yes, we do call her bionic women now... but she can kick my butt walking now, so she's got me there!! I'm sure you'll appreciate having this done, my mom sure did, her knees were the hardest thing to deal with, we hated seeing in her in so much pain, she hated being the reason we stopped going places... now she's all over the place!

    Best of luck with your recovery, I'll add you to my prayer list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just dropping by to see how you're feeling! Hope you're out of the hospital by now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wishing you a speedy recovery Cynthia....keep us posted...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hoping and praying for a great recovery. It will be good to be pain free once again. You will probably be running those three miles soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Best of luck for a quick recovery!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia