Monday, February 01, 2010

Spring Cleaning: Ceilings and Walls

Week three of my spring cleaning mission. If you missed cleaning the kitchen or wood furniture, here they are.

Walls and ceilings are one of the most neglected areas of any home. So once a year, I make sure that they get a thorough cleaning. Since I painted them with flat interior paint, this process can be a little tricky.

I vacuum all the ceiling and walls with a clean dust brush vacuum attachment.



Next, I fill a bucket with warm water and a few drops of dish soap and a new car sponge. Flat interior paint is a little delicate so no harsh cleaners.


Always start from the top and work your way down. Squeeze as much water out of the sponge to prevent streaking.



This year, I repainted the kitchen but normally would handle the kitchen walls differently then the rest of the living area walls. I head to the kitchen after cleaning the rest of the house and add a degreaser to a fresh bucket of water, along with a little stronger multi-purpose cleaner.

I do not was the ceiling but try to remove any spots as I wash the walls.

I also carry post-it notes with me and use them to highlight areas of the walls that need a touch of paint or a hole that might need to be fixed. I can easily find these spots later and take care of it quickly.

Overall, I feel good when this process is done and glad I don’t have to do it until next year.




4 comments:

  1. Do you hire yourself out? I have so many cobwebs the spiders are thinking it is a motel. ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed! Wish I had your energy!

    Susan at Charm of the Carolines

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia