Friday, March 26, 2010

A Beautiful Thing: The Art of Puttering

One of my favorite things to do is to putter around the home. I think that is a “woman” thing… though, comparable to men’s “tinkering”. Samuel Johnson said that “women have a great advantage that they may take up with little things without disgracing themselves….”

In order to putter, I put on a pretty apron, some music that fits my mood and open the doors and windows if possible.

IMG_6949

Puttering to me is similar to putting order in the home but with a different twist. While I stack piles, water plants, dust with an ostrich feather and sweep, I also allow myself to rearrange objects, sort through drawers, pictures, etc. Puttering is the ability to look at my home with a fresh light… able to edit items, think of new solutions to problems and just the ability to enjoy my home without the pressure of rushing out the door.

2004_0416Image0023

My home and my spirit are better when I allow myself time to putter, to free my mind of the thoughts of the day and like Samuel Johnson “take up with little things”.

Again, I want to highlight how you make your life more beautiful for you and your family.

image_thumb[2]

Do you putter? If not, you should!

4 comments:

  1. I could putter the day away most days! It's really my favorite state of being...especially if there's coffee and sunshine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like puttering...no demands...sometimes I get more accomplished puttering...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I certainly do putter...probably more often than I should!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I plan to putter tomorrow. Today I'm just too pooped to putter.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia