Oh my goodness, I love holiday menus. The tried and true dishes that mark the year. Easter has to be my second favorite food holiday only trumped by Thanksgiving. But this year, I am shaking things up only a little… my family could not take anything too drastic.
A couple of weeks ago, Rachel at A Southern Fairytale posted this Bourbon Brown Sugar Ham recipe and I thought it sounded delicious. She is a fantastic cook and has wonderful recipes.
Bourbon Brown Sugar Ham
- 3/4 to 1 1/2 C Bourbon Whiskey
- 2 C Brown Sugar (I think Dark would be best, I only had light)
- 1 Tbsp ground mustard
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Place your ham fat side up on a rack in a roasting pan and score in a diamond pattern.. pour 3/4 C bourbon whiskey over ham and pour 1 C water in the bottom of the roasting pan.
- Cover roasting pan tightly with foil or a roasting pan lid.
- Bake your ham as directed.
- Mix brown sugar, mustard and remaining bourbon whiskey in a bowl to create a paste. When you have 40 minutes left for your ham, pull the ham out of the oven and remove the foil/lid. Slather the paste onto the ham, use a spoon or basting tool and drizzle the juices from the roasting pan over the ham. Re-cover the ham and place it back into the oven for the remaining amount of time.
- Pull the ham out of the oven, allow it to cool and then slice.
3 Tbsp butter
2 lbs (about 4 medium sized) Russet potatoes, peeled, sliced 1/8-inch thick
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 Tbsp chopped fresh chives (optional)
2 1/2 cups grated Swiss or Gruyere cheese (about 8 ounces)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (about 2 ounces)
2 1/2 cups to 3 cups of half-and-half (half milk, half cream)
Salt and pepper
Plus fun Easter Candy, Easter Egg hunts, Church, Easter outfits, Pink ties on my hubby and son, Easter baskets and time with my beautiful family.