Monday, March 29, 2010

Housekeeping: Polishing Silver

With Easter coming, it is time to get the silver out and check if it needs a quick polish. Twice a year, I polish all the silver in the house; prior to Easter and Thanksgiving. My silver is stored in soft muslin to limit the amount of tarnish during the year… AIR = TARNISH.

001

Once I open up the muslin

005

The silver only requires a quick swipe of silver with a wet sponge and a little Wright’s Silver Cream.

008

Oh my goodness, look at my little mint julip cup and vase. I want to use them for Easter sooo they really need a good cleaning. You all think I am a good housekeeper…. Now I sharing my dirty silver.

007 

A little elbow grease and they look much better.

010

All the silver polished and ready for Easter took less than 30 minutes. This silver should be good for another six months.

013

I think I will start getting the table ready for Easter.

7 comments:

  1. Way too much work for me! I stay away from silver for that reason...sad but true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have to tell you a story - many years ago, I read a short story that was a letter from the 2nd wife to the 1st wife. In it she thanked her for never using her china and silver and said how much she was enjoying using such nice, almost new things. My silver came out that day and I have used it everyday for at least the last 15 or 20 years. I keep 6 in the drawer in the kitchen and only polish it about every 6 months. There are only 2 of us now and I just swish it off with a soapy sponge after we have eaten. The other 6 servings I keep in the dining room drawer - that comes out when we have more than 6 at the table. Take yours out of that muslin and enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Little known fact: I LOVE polishing silver. Because I'm a freak. Seriously, I would come to your house and polish your silver for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, wonder why I do not have any silver:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need those muslin bags with slots. Did you order them?
    What a great post.

    Thanks,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I need to get mine out and do the same.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia