Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Cooking: Savory Palmiers and Testing Recipes for Company

I have wanted to make Ina Garten's Savory Palmiers for an appetizer for several years. However, I never make new recipes for company but always test them first. For the bridal shower, we are having, I decided to test these palmiers and walk you through the fail safe process I use to test recipes.


Lightly flour a board and carefully unfold one sheet of defrosted puff pastry. Roll the pastry lightly with a rolling pin until it's 9 1/2 by 11 1/2-inches.


Spread the sheet of puff pastry with 1/4 c. pesto, then sprinkle with 1/4 c. goat cheese, 1/8 c. sundried tomatoes, and 1/4 c. pine nuts. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt.

Working from the short ends, fold each end halfway to the center. I worked from the long end... I should have read the recipe better.

Then fold each side again towards the center until the folded edges almost touch. Fold one side over the other and press lightly. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat the entire instructions for the second sheet of puff pastry using the remaining ingredients. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 45 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Cut the prepared rolls of puff pastry in 1/4 inch thick slices



Place them face up 2 inches apart on baking sheets, can be lined with parchment paper.



Bake for 14 minutes, until golden brown. Serve warm.




They are delicious and exactly what I would like to serve. So they pass the first test. Next, I am going to run three tests:
  1. I would like to make the night before and chill over night, without baking.
  2. Bake and put in foil. Reheat and see how they hold up.
  3. Freeze in foil and reheat and see how they hold up.
The three scenarios will allow me to make these appetizers ahead of time. The day of a party is not a day that I like to be cooking very much. I will let you know how my tests turned out.


Ina Garten's Savory Palmiers

Ingredients

  • 1 package frozen Pepperidge Farm puff pastry, defrosted
  • 1/4 cup prepared pesto, store bought or homemade (recipe follows)
  • 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese, such as Montrachet
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped sundried tomatoes in oil, drained
  • 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
  • Kosher salt

6 comments:

  1. Cynthia, Savory Palmiers are so delicious and yours look divine! I like your tips at the end of your post. I made them a month or so ago and posted them- I should have refrigerated them also. I love the ingredients in yours! I bet they were delicious!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are very thorough...love it...can't wait to see how your tests turn out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Between you and Yvonne and your elegant bridal spreads, it makes me want to have a bridal shower for someone! Know any spare brides?... :)

    Wednesday HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did promise to come cook for me, did you not?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those sound absolutely wonderful and they are so gorgeous! Can I get married again so you can throw me another shower? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are beautiful... I can only imagine how yummy they are!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia