Thursday, April 22, 2010

Gardening: Cleaning Gardening Tools


My garden tools are sometimes neglected… but let me explain. When I am working in the yard, I work until I am pooped. Too pooped to clean my garden tools. I know, it is terrible. I should be ashamed but hey, I have a solution. Once a week, I give my tools some tender loving care.

First, I wash and scrub all the tools that I have used in the week.


I use a wire brush to remove all stubborn mud and dirt.



Next, I use some steel wool and rub on any rusted areas.



I also sharpen with a file any tools I use for pruning, clipping and cutting.

But this little guy is really rusted and awful...



And finally, I take some WD-40 and spray on the tools, giving them a quick wipe down. The oil prevents any new rust from forming and allows the tools to be protected when I am neglecting them. Look how much better he looks!!


My tools are my best friends all summer long. I need to make sure they are well taken care of, even if I am too lazy at the time.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, my.... you put me to shame! Other than the odd rinse from time to time, I never clean tools. I think I'll repent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You amaze me with your attention to detail! I have no desire to clean my garden tools!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow...I thought garden tools were suppose to be dirty and rusty to work...don't let my tools see your post..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have any tips for a very rusted tool? I just pulled out my clippers and they're quite awful - must have put them away damp or wet. I'd love to save them, but am not sure it's possible. I'll definitely learn from your example here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My tools are in a fight for their lives.
    (I am embarrassed to say.)
    Half the time, I leave them lying around the yard.
    But now I am inspired!

    Thanks,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia