Saturday, April 17, 2010

My daughter received her honors from the Wizard

My daughter is a very smart, young lady. The reason I am telling you this is because she would never be so bold to:
  1. Brag about her accomplishments
  2. Think she is smart
  3. Draw attention to herself.
Despite graduating with a Bachelor’s of Science with a Mathematics degree and graduating #1 in her Air Traffic Control school in the Navy, she does not think she is very smart. She is now in Engineering school at the University of Tennessee and has a 3.97 GPA.
So when Phi Kappa Phi contacted her and wanted to initiate her in the honor society for her academic accomplishments, she hesitated… but as a proud ( pushy) mother, I encouraged her to accept their invitation and attend their banquet.


Well both of us attended the banquet and it was lovely, wonderful dinner companions, smart students and lovely food. The former Ambassador of Poland and former mayor of Knoxville was the honored speaker.


Which brings me the Wizard. Like the Scare Crow…. my daughter does not think she is smart. However, the Scare Crow upon receiving his honorary degree, he could state the Pythagorean theory and is deemed intelligent.


On Thursday night, the Wizard, okay maybe her Physics professor, decreed to my daughter the medallion, a certificate and a charm of the Phi Kappa Phi Honor society.





She should now be able to look at the medal and know that she is intelligent but also…. she should be able to state the Pythagorean theory.. Although I am pretty sure should could state that before the honors.




She now has the light of learning.... according to the honor society... I think she should carry that around the campus!!


6 comments:

  1. That is amazing! You should both be very proud. I'm telling you as one without an engineering/math type brain, you are very intelligent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cynthia, Thannk you for this post! When it seems that all of youth are falling apart it is wonderful to hear of a young woman who is a good role model, modest, and worthy of such a high honor! Congradulations.
    And of course you read the parent handbook... you should be very very proud!
    Congradulations to you too! I share in your great joy!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to you and your daughter...great accomplishment...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's AWESOME!! What an incredible feeling she must have! Thank God for her pushy mother!!
    Shanna - you are an awesome person!! I'm proud that you are my niece!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats Miss S!!

    I know your Mom is so proud of you! You are a wonderful daughter!!!

    And Cynthia, thanks for capturing it in photos and sharing with all of us. She is amazing -- just like her Mommy!

    Hugs to both of you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia