Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Baking: Flower cupcakes

With mother’s day coming, I thought I would share with you some sweet flower cupcakes. I really wanted to test a new yellow cake recipe that I found from my Great Aunt… so it isn’t a new recipe but in fact a very old recipe.



Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Mix sugar with softened butter



Separate three eggs and add the yolks to the sugar/butter mixture.



Next add milk, flour, baking powder, salt and vanilla. Alternate the wet and dry ingredients, ending on the dry.



The cake batter is very heavy at this point:



Next, beat the three egg whites until stiff

Here the egg whites are at soft peaks... the peaks are wet and droopy.



Keep beating the egg whites until stiff and dry. Much better.



Fold the beaten egg whites into the rest of the batter.



Here the eggs are halfway incorporated into the batter.



Egg whites fully mixed. The batter is much lighter!


Put in cupcake liners and place cake batter in cup with ice cream scoop. Bake for 20 minutes for cupcakes and 35 minutes for cake or until the toothpick comes out clean

Next, I decided to make flower cupcakes: But I wanted to show you how I fill my pastry bags.

First, I color the icing:



Next, I put the pastry bags in a large cup



And carefully put the colored icing into the bag.



I thought I would make beautiful flowers:






We packaged some to take to my daughter's closing:


And I decided to take some to the lovely women in my life to thank them for all they do. These flower cupcakes would be a fun treat and easy to make.

I am linking to Jen's party... check her blog out. She is a fantastic saver and mom


Yellow Cake
  • 2 c. granulated sugar
  • 1 c. butter
  • 3 eggs, seperated
  • 1 c. milk
  • 3 c. flour
  • 2 1/2 t. baking powder
  • 1/4 t. salt
  • 1 t. vanilla

Buttercream Frosting (Wilton)

  • 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine softened
  • 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
  • 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approximately 1 lb.)
  • 2 tablespoons milk

4 comments:

  1. pretty cupcakes....my daughter will be baking cupcakes on friday for our baby shower....it will be a western theme though...maybe the next one we will try the flowers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, you never cease to amaze me. These are beautiful! That is one of the things I have always wanted to learn was cake (cupcake) decorating....(and sewing, but you know that.)Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the title wrong and thought, "Baking flour cupcakes? Yuck."

    I need a second cup of joe ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are really cute. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia