Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Garage Sales: A Display Cabinet



We have a beautiful space outside to entertain. Here is my daughter's birthday party last year.



However, I knew that I wanted a special piece of furniture to hold key pieces. I really had no idea what I wanted but after looking on Craigslist. After a year of looking, I found this piece. Listed as a doll display, it came equipped with plexi-glass. Perfect for a display piece on a flagstone patio.


However, I knew to make it last, it needed to be as water proof as possible....


So we added a little roof to it.



I caulked it and painted it with exterior paint. And now I had a display cabinet to hold all the outdoor entertainment dishware I needed.

All the items in the cabinet were all yard sale finds so if they end up missing, I won't cry.


On the top shelf, I put the centerpieces and candle sticks I use outside.


I love this urn.. $1 at a yard sale.

Next, all the silverware and chargers.



I found these great wicker chargers, perfect for outdoors.

All the trays and dishes are on a shelf. I can easily feed 20 with all my white yard sale dishes. They don't match but they are all white and much prettier than paper plates.


I just love how it makes this area more attractive.


On the bottom shelf, the tablecloths, placemats, candles, matches and anything else I can use to entertain.




Now, I have everything at my fingertips in a beautiful display cabinet, that is water tight and secured to the wall. Later this week, I will share the table we set for Mother's Day. One word... Beautiful






I am linking to Thrifty Decor Chick and Kimba's Outdoor DIY Day....

13 comments:

  1. Cynthia...what a great find...and such a great addition to your entertaining area...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! It looks beautiful and makes your outdoor area even more welcoming!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are kidding me! I love that idea. Can't believe you were able to water proof it like that. What a smart person you are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is incredible & so are you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely SECOND what Stacey says -- are you kidding me?....YOU ARE AMAZING!!! I love, love, love this idea. I've never thought of such a thing. What a great way to display lovely things outside AND functional too!!!

    As always, you're such an inspiration!!!

    HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is an AMZING idea. I love it. So so different and it looks like it was made for that space!
    Great Job!
    ~Tana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhhh...what a beautiful addition to your outdoor space...awesome idea!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the cabinet and I spy a beautiful bunny tole tray that is darlin'! Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Miss Cynthia! I love this!!! What a great idea! Oh...and if that bunny tray is missing one morning...well...I didn't take it...just saying... ;)

    Love the bridal shower candy bar!!! So pretty in pink!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea! And what a beautiful piece of furniture! LOVE your outdoor area!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this idea! Such a pretty way to add some extra storage and keep everything handy too. You did a great job with making it weatherproof! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia