Friday, May 07, 2010

Gardening: Hydrangeas

I love hydrangeas. They are pretty, elegant, blue, pink and always a delight in any yard.


And I have a fail-proof trick to root hydrangeas and create many new bushes from one momma bush. Now is the best time to root hydrangeas. The flowers are just starting to form.




Look for a low stem without any flowers on it.




Place the stem on the ground with a small rock on top.




The rock is very inconspicuous.. so no one will even know that you are creating new plants.



The contact of the stem to the ground over the summer, will create a small baby hydrangea and in the fall you will be able to cut the stem from the momma and replant in a new place.

I have created 7 new plants from the original two I purchased 5 years ago.

8 comments:

  1. *gasp* I had no idea you could do that. They are my favorite bush. I just got my Mama plant last mother's day, so I may wait a few years before I do this, as Mama is still small, but I will for sure try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, love hydrangeas. This is a great idea and sounds easy enough to do. Thanks for sharing it with us. I plan to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are just so smart! Do you have any oakleaf hydrangeas? We have several and I just love them! They are much more woodsy looking but the blooms are unbelievable.

    Don't you have surgery coming up?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cynthia, This is very inportant information for me! I love hydrangeas and have 3 plants, but would love more. I'm going to do this this morning. Thanks for the info!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a new trick I've never heard of. When we get settled somewhere I'm going to put in some hydrangeas -- I love them. I had about four of them in my yard in Ohio. They made me so happy to look at!!! And fresh cut hydrangeas are so pretty!!!

    Hugs sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous! I will try this! :o)
    Also, what if you leave the rock on the stem and let a new plant form there? Does that work?
    Sincerely, Trish

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia