Thursday, May 20, 2010

Gardening: Shade flowers

I have three flower beds that get mostly shade and a little filtered sunlight. It is difficult to find perennials that flower in the shade, in zone 7. But oh boy, did my few flowers blossom:

Cora bells: Beautiful purple foliage and delicate hanging bells.

002

Foxgloves: The queen of the flower bed.

006

Look how sweet the blossoms are up close…. like little speckled cups.

 

009

 

Astilbe: Delicate and feathery.

 

045

I fill in the beds with impatiens, some white ones to add light in the garden but also color. I also mix in variegated foliage such as hostas.

Shade perennials are the quiet underappreciated flowers in the perennial spectrum of flowers but they add tremendous elegance and color where it is needed.

What do you plant in the shade?

7 comments:

  1. so pretty...I usually go with greenery in the shade....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures Cynthia, and great information. It's nice to see the pretty colors of the blooms in shady area!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have calla lilies, coral bells, lots of hostas, hydrangeas, lots of impatiens. I need some of the foxgloves! Love the height.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ferns, impatiens,coral bells, hydrangeas, solomon's seal, astilbe. I also need some foxgloves! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite colors--pinks and lavender! I don't have all that much shade! I do have a little. I have ferns there!
    Blessings,
    Lorilee

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have foxglove. My yard is mostly in the sun.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia