Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Baking: Strawberry Bread




Strawberry season is over in Eastern Tennessee. Sadly, I had forgotten about a package of strawberries I had purchased and when I finally remembered them.... they had a few bruises on them.



Well, that made me kind of excited to make one of my favorite things but never make it because, I hate to use up pretty strawberries.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter and flour two 9 x 5 inch loaf pans.


Slice 2 cups of strawberries, and sprinkle lightly with sugar, and set aside while preparing the dry ingredients.


Combine 3 1/2 c. of flour, 1 3/4 cups sugar, 2 t. cinnamon, 1 t. salt and 1 t. baking soda in large bowl: mix well.



Blend 1 1/4 cup of oil and 4 eggs, slightly beaten, into strawberries.



Add flour mixture to strawberry mixture, fold gently not to break up the strawberries and mix until just moistened.



Stir in 1 1/4 c. of chopped pecans.




Divide batter into pans.


Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until tester inserted comes out clean. Let cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Turn loaves out, and cool completely.


Look how pretty. This recipe makes two loaves... I plan on sharing one with a friend. I hope you enjoy!



Strawberry Bread

Ingredients

* 2 cups fresh strawberries
* 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 cups white sugar
* 2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
* 4 eggs, beaten
* 1 1/4 cups chopped pecans

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE strawberries....that bread sounds wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cynthia, This is a wonderful recipe. I love sweet breads and you don't see Strawberry bread too often. Now that strawberries are readily available almost all year round this recipe is great to have on hand.
    I bet you could use it with raspberries, blueberries etc. Yummy.
    This recipe goes in my favorites!
    Thanks, I always find the greatest posts at your blog!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I never would have thought of making strawberry bread. Thanks for the awesome recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can be that friend you mention if you need one :-) I've never heard of strawberry bread, so I'm excited to try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia