Thursday, June 17, 2010

Gardening: Dead-heading flowers

My roses have come into bloom, and are they pretty.

But I want to talk to you about a very important but often overlooked gardening task: Deadheading flowers.

Dead-heading is the removal of flowers that are faded and before seeds have developed. It is a day to day pruning of your plants. The standard recommendation is to cut the flower stem back to an outward-facing bud above a five-leaflet or seven-leaflet leaf.

Here is a bloom almost over:


It is hard to see, I was juggling a puppy at the time but my pruners are in the bottom of this picture cutting off the bloom.


I dead head my roses, geraniums, dahlias, daisies, etc about twice a week.


I pull the dead flowers off the petunias. Dead-heading not only not want to prune off the old flowers but allows the plant to re-direct the energy of the plant into new flowers and vigorous growth. Also by removing the decaying flowers, you greatly reduce disease developing.

If you miss the bloom, you can cut off the residuals of the flowers.

I do not deadhead after the end of summer as the plant is getting ready for winter.

This topic is not a fancy gardening post with lots of pretty flowers, etc. You will love the results of this simple gardening task.

3 comments:

  1. I love my garden, but deadheading is not a job I love! The results are well worth it though! An abundance of new flowers! It does make the flowering life of a plant longer.
    Thanks for the great reminder. Now I need to get out to the garden.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the tip, I always cut off the dead roses, but never knew for sure where to cut:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do enjoy deadheading cause I know more pretty flowers will come soon...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia