Thursday, June 24, 2010

Gardening: A pretty vegetable garden

After spending almost two weeks weeding the garden, I am finally caught up. My knees feel good but I use my garden stool to weed. I cannot tell you how satisfying it is not only to have the garden caught up after two knee surgeries but to be able to work in the garden and not have the knee pain I have had over the last eight years.

On another note, many of you don't know my obsession with making a vegetable garden pretty. I mean a garden can look like a hot mess unless you focus on making it "pretty".



So how do I make the garden look attractive?

First I added a bird bath in the middle of the garden. It was a $5 yard sale find and you cannot imagine how many birds we find in it during the day.



Next, these bamboo trellises add style and function.




Even my compost bin has to be "pretty". The bin looks like a beehive house but really does produce sweet compost.


The garden paths are neat and covered with mulch.



Herbs add flowers throughout the season.



As do the green beans


and peas.



And the pretty black fencing, a Wal-mart find, makes the beds look neat.




Lastly, as the vegetables ripen, the whole garden is attractive and ready for picking. Yesterday, I picked the first green beans, some cherry tomatoes and the second bath of banana peppers.

7 comments:

  1. I am jealous of that beautiful garden. I wish I had one ;0) Maybe one day. Glad your knees are doing so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear your knees are doing so well! That's great! And your garden, oh my goodness--it is charming! What a pleasure to work in there! What kind of tomatoes are those?

    ReplyDelete
  3. BEAUTIFUL!!! You would die if you saw our vegie garden right now! Before hubby left for Afghanistan he covered all the beds with tarps because we knew I wouldn't do the garden this year without him.

    I've actually sent pictures of your garden to him and he loves what you've done.

    Amazing all you are getting done with both of knees!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's gorgeous! Mine is a bit of a mess but I think I have big(ger) plans for next year already!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are a go getter that is for sure...looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! I'm especially intrigued by your compost bin --can you tell me more about it? I would like one, but small, and that looks cute! Thxs!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia