Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Sewing: A Ruffled Pillow

We are deep into decorating my daughter's condo and when we saw this comforter set... she fell in love. However, at $70 for the pretty pillow and $400 for the duvet cover... a college student cannot afford those prices. Lucky for her, Mom knows how to sew and for the right price, I would make it for her...




So we found her favorite fabric for the room, the purple solid on the bottom left.



I whipped out my sewing machine and got to work. First, ruffled some white antique ribbon I already owned.


Next, measured the accent pillow ( 16 by 28 inches) and cut two pieces of the lavender fabric. I then laid out the ribbon to copy the pillow, pinning as I went along.


Pinning around a curve is tricky.


Lay out the curve...



Step back and make sure the spacing looks right...




Basting the ribbon is an important step to ensure the placement of the ribbon but also allows easy sewing in the final step.





Next, secure the ribbon with the sewing machine.



Placing the two pieces of fabric, right sides together, I sewed four sides together, leaving an eight inch opening on one of the long side.

Sew with a running stitch to secure the eight inch opening.

Oh it is as pretty as we had hoped!!! Next, I have to sew the duvet cover....



Up close.


Pretty on either side!!

6 comments:

  1. You can do everything Cynthia! Your daughter is so lucky to have your help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks amazing! You rock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!! You inspire me to get my sewing machine out:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty. Is there any limit to your talents?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cynthia, Your beautiful pillow looks better than the catalogue version!
    Great tutorial. I just love stopping by. I always know that I am in for a special treat!
    This goes in my favorite file!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty. Isn't it a great feeling when you can create something so lovely and still have money in the bank?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia