Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Cooking: A Tomato Goat Cheese Tart

All gardeners know that we cannot wait for the first tomato of the summer. Anticipation... but by the end of July, we are looking for anything we can do with tomatoes. So I picked some fresh herbs and a gorgeous tomato.



And decided to make this recipe... on my list for a long time. Ina Garten's Tomato Tart



Defrost two sheets of puff pastry and roll out to 1/8 inch thick. Then cut two circles 6 inch in diameter in each sheet of puff pastry. Score the pastry 1/2 inch away from the edge.

Refrigerate until ready to use.



Meanwhile, slice four cups of onions.




And thinly slice three cloves of garlic.



Saute onions and garlic for fifteen to twenty minutes in 3 tablespoons of olive oil.




Next, add 1/2 t. salt, 1/4 t. pepper, 3 T. white wine, 2 T. chopped thyme. Cook another ten minutes until onions are lightly brown. Remove from heat.





Preheat oven to 425 degrees

Sprinkle 1 t. shaved Parmesan on eah puff pastry round staying inside the scored area. Divide the onion mixture into four equal parts and place on the puff pastry, again staying within the scored area. Crumble 1 oz. of herb goat cheese on each tart.

Next, slice the tomato into four thick slices


And place on each tart. I cheated and added two slices to each tart.



Top with a drizzle of olive oil, salt, pepper, parmesan and sliced basil.


Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.


Oh my goodness... this is so delicious. I will make it often and the summer tomato takes the flavor of the dish over the top.....


Well, you can tell, I enjoyed it..... Don't tell anyone, but I could eat another one but won't!!!



Ina Garten's Tomato Tart
  • 1 sheet puff pastry, defrosted
  • Olive oil
  • 2 cups thinly sliced yellow onions (1 large onions)
  • 2 large garlic cloves, cut into thin slivers
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoons dry white wine
  • 1 teaspoons minced fresh thyme leaves
  • 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan, plus 2 ounces shaved with a vegetable peeler
  • 2 ounces garlic-and-herb goat cheese (recommended: Montrachet)
  • 1 large tomato, cut into 4 (1/4-inch-thick) slices
  • 2 tablespoons julienned basil leaves

4 comments:

  1. my 2 tomato plants have not produced one tomato....I guess I bought duds...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cynthia, Guess what I had for dinner last night? Tomato pie! Yours looks scrumptious! I love to use puffed pastry. The photos are yummy! I'll try this. I have 8 tomato plants!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, that looks so darn yummy. I LOVE tomatoes in season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 知識可以傳授,智慧卻不行。每個人必須成為他自己。. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia