Thursday, July 29, 2010

Gardening: Pesto

The basil in the garden has gone crazy. So now is the time to start preserving summer's bounty. In addition, I am always looking for ways to bring summer flavor into the winter. Pesto is a fantastic way to add flavor to pasta, fish and appetizers.

To make it fresh and preserve it, I freeze my pesto. So here is my pesto recipe.


Pick and wash four cups of basil leaves.




Heat 1/2 c. of pine nuts in a dry saute pan until lightly brown.




Add nuts and process until blended.




Next add 1/2 c. of Parmesan cheese



2 cloves of garlic and 1/4 t. of salt. Pulse until blended.




With food processor on, add 1/2 c. olive oil in steady stream.

Place the pesto in ice cube trays and freeze.



Pop and place in a ziploc bag. You have a taste of summer all winter long.

2 comments:

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia