Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Gardening: Sun dried Tomatoes




Or how I cheat and make dried tomatoes with a food dryer... I have some gorgeous tomatoes and some less than gorgeous tomatoes. Although I have frozen lots of tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes are a luxurious treat in pasta and other dishes.



For the smaller tomatoes, I cut them in half and remove all the seeds.


I also like thick slices of tomatoes... however, they do not typically take as long to dry as the tomato halves.



Set the dehydrator to 145 degrees for 8 to 12 hours.





Then I layered them on a baking sheet, froze them.



As I need them, I will remove from freezer and store in some olive oil to rehydrate them a little.

5 comments:

  1. Yum?! I never thought to do this! Thank you for sharing. :o) Our tomatoes tanked this year. Only a few real good ones. But boy were they good. :o)
    Have a great week! Sincerely ~ Trish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum- I love tomatoes! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just did this a couple weeks ago too! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are so creative Cynthia...

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look perfect! I love sun dried tomatoes! YOur dryer makes it easy.
    I have used the oven before, but your dryer keeps the vibrant color.
    I can just imagine how wonderful they taste.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia