Thursday, October 21, 2010

Housekeeping: How to get your house back in order!!!

Do you ever have a week where the whole house explodes and every corner of the house is a mess... the yard is a mess.... and the garage is a mess.... You are plugging along and handling "life" and suddenly you look around and everything is, well; a mess, a dump, a catastrophe!!!




During the last four weeks, hubby has been home twice, my sister visited, we had two weddings to attend, I baked 165 wedding cookies, wallpapered a bedroom (ok, my sister wallpapered it but I helped), taught 6 classes, made two trips to Nashville and a trip to Atlanta. So no wonder, my surroundings are a little askew.

So how do you get your home back in order? Well here is what I do.

1. Make a list ( Of course, I always have a list) The list should include everything that needs to get done, and I mean everything.

2. Next, break the tasks down into smaller bites. For example, take an hour and put everything away. Dishes in the dishwasher, shoes, laundry in the laundry room, etc.

3. My usual starting point is the kitchen. I move everything in the kitchen onto one counter and start scrubbing dishes, loading the dishwasher and washing everything that won't fit in the dishwasher. I dry all the dishes and put them away; including the ones in the dishwasher as soon as it is finished.




4. Next, I scrub the counters, all the cabinets and clean off the table.



Okay, kitchen clean.





5. Next, I put every item in their place. This step makes the house seem clean and if time runs short, the house looks much better.

6. Vacuum the house.

7. Lastly, use a swiffer and run through all the surfaces of the house. Now the house is in order. Next the garage and outside.


I always put on some fun music, a pretty apron and turn off my phone. My house can be whipped into shape in 1 to 1 and 1/2 hours if I follow the plan and don't get distracted.

2 comments:

  1. wow you are good...I think mine explodes every week....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved all the tips on getting your house back in order. You have a lovely home and an adorable blog
    deezie

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia