Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Housekeeping: Thoroughly Cleaning a Room

I have been asked by several readers how do I clean a thoroughly clean a room in one day.


So here is how my plan:

1. The night before, pick up the room.

2. Next morning, thoroughly vacuum the room; lamps, ceiling, furniture, curtains, top of doors, baseboards, and floors.





3. Fill a big bucket with warm water and all-purpose cleaner. I use a big car sponge and wash down all the walls and woodwork, including window sills, etc.




4. Next, refill the bucket and wash all the accessories, lamps and any other item, such as light switches, fireplace seats, etc.

5. With glass cleaner, carefully, clean pictures, delicate accessories and all the windows.

6. Now all the wood furniture gets thoroughly cleaned with furniture and then I use lemon oil to refurbish the furniture. 7. Lastly, I make a list of any items that need to be fixed and or replaced.... such as light bulbs, tables that need to be tightened. Any walls or baseboards that need paint, etc. I need a rug in my living room so I finally am going to bite the bullet and buy a plain rug with the edges bound. I have been looking for 10 years... and it has been on my list for 10 years.



All of this takes about 3 hours, depending on the size of the room. I try to complete this task for all rooms about twice a year. The first time you do this list, if you haven't done it for a while, takes longer but it should only take half a day.

Also, I do not organize and clean out drawers. I set those tasks aside for another day.

3 comments:

  1. very good hints...I tend to get side tracked...I like your plan..will give it a try...planning on painting my living room on saturday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pointers! I really need to give my bedroom and sitting room the thoroughly cleaning once over!
    I love your colors!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't a clean house just put you in a good mood? I'm now in a good mood by looking at your home in this post, so....thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia