Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A French Country Guest Bedroom

 Here is my new guest bedroom.


My daughter's room has always been one of the prettiest rooms in the house. With a large picture window and big expansive closet, but since she has moved out, this room needed a serious updating. Unfortunately removing her childhood was sad but I wanted a fresh bright look for any guests or family that might want to visit.


As I told you last week, one of my goals was to use items I already owned and not to purchase new items. With that goal in mind, I looked for ideas to give this room a French country theme.

I already owned this rug




This comforter




Wicker furniture




In the blog world, many people have shown the batten board treatment but I wanted a timeless wall treatment that would be special. So we installed tongue in grove paneling




 The first full wall done.



And stained them white, which allowed the wood to peak through the stain.



Next, my sister and I (mainly my sister) hung this pretty wallpaper.




Voila'




All accessories I pulled from other areas of the house and most were not being used.

This table I purchased at a garage sale for $20. Now, I know it is a changing table but I am going to be painting it... hopefully today, a soft gray and use it for seedlings in the spring. This room has fantastic light and how pretty is it when not in use as a seedling table?


This buffet is from my mother in law's dining set and I haven't decided if I am going to paint it or not.



So pretty and a wonderful place for these cute birdhouses I found at a yard sale for $5




I love this plate, a $1 at a yard sale and the inspiration for this room.





Lampshade and lamp from yard sale for $18. I painted the lamp black to match the room.



New curtains from Ikea for $49

 


I already owned these prints and thought they would be wonderful here.




Chair from Target and the study.. I rearranged the study and found I had too much furniture. So moved to the study.


Wood wall covering $228



Wood trim, also stained white with a coat of polyurethane, $85. Stain $35

Pretty wallpaper $255

Total cost of the room. $696 I have one gallon of gray and will be painting all the wicker and will share the results, an additional $35. The total after paint will be $731.

I am thrilled with the results of the room. I love the feel and I love the way the items I already owned fit into the room. This room confirms that if you buy things you love, you will still love them several years later.


7 comments:

  1. Guest room is absolutely beautiful!
    I love it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely room for your guests. The decor fits my taste perfectly. That wicker changing table is amazing and will be perfect for what you want to use it for. Great job!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cynthia, This is a gorgeous room! I love the soft black and white theme and all the detailed and pretty touches.
    Your tongue and groove beadboard turned out perfectly. I have a thing for beadboard! So classy.
    You have truely created a haven for your guests!
    Love your great buys too!
    I'm coming back here when I have more time to soak it in!!!!
    xo Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow very inviting...great job Cynthia...I love repurposing things...we are going to do our Christmas exchange with re-purposed...re-gifted or homemade items...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cynthia, I love the transformation and the fact that you tried to use as much stuff that you already had.. beautiful! take care, Maryann

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia