Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Guest Bedroom: My new "girl's" room

When the children moved out this summer, I knew that did not want to spend a fortune to remodel three... yes you heard me right, three bedrooms.

So I devised a plan to accomplish this task without purchasing new furniture, new rugs or new accessories. By using what I had, I was able to transform this room with the purchase of a new mattress and box springs for $185, new bedding ($125), new chandelier ($99), one gallon of Kilz ($13) and one gallon of Behr paint ($30).

Here is how the bedroom looked before...

Navy blue with a queen sized bed in the room.


The side view with a chest of drawers and a pretty lamp. 




Well, after three coats of primer and two coats of Behr, here is how it looks.



A wicker chest of drawers filled with guest towels and toiletries.



 The rug from my daughter's room, I love this rug and would have hated to not use this rug.



The chair from her room. The side table needs to be painted, it is primed but I haven't found the time to paint it.



Look how sweet the bedding goes with the rug. Sweet but not too overly feminine.



The doll house is from my daughter's childhood and adds a whimsical touch to the room.




I pulled prints from her room and bathroom. Very pretty with the new chandelier.




I even found a spot for her rocking horse. 


  


One of the benefits from removing the curtains and painting a room is the view I found outside of this window. I love the view of my garden from this room and think this winter, I will come and sit in this room, dreaming of spring and the plans for next year's garden. 




This picture was my daughter's room prior to my remodeling efforts of all the rooms.. Notice, prints, rug and the chair are now in the new room.





Having three rooms available for guests allows me to transform the smallest guest room to a "girl's" room and pull all the items together from my daughter's room and around the house. But the truth is, I wanted to use items we already owned. When I purchase items for my home, I look for things that I love. The pink and white chair in this room is 26 years old and has been recovered twice.

Next week, I am going to show you another room I remodeled, my daughter's room above and I purchased one item for $20 at a yard sale. I spent my money in that room on wallpaper and wainscoting ($738)... but you will have to wait and see.

PUNCHLIST FOR THIS ROOM (Items to purchase or finish)
  • Curtains
  • Paint the side table
  • Picture for an empty wall

4 comments:

  1. wow what a great transformation..your guests might not want to leave....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful! Your guests will love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely. I have a couple of rooms I want to hang chandeliers in. They seem to just finish a room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This room is so cute! Definitely something I'm tacking up to my inspiration wall! I have a 1 year old girl that would love a room like this one. You have great taste! I was wondering if you would be willing to share what paint color is on the walls and where the rug is from? They're both perfect!
    Thank you so much,
    ~Angela :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia