Friday, April 08, 2011

Homemade Granola

I am starting this blog post with a confession, I hate cereal. I mean hate, it is a texture thing. Everyday as a child, I had to eat Cheerios. Oh yes, and walked five miles in the snow, up hill, both ways. Okay, just kidding. I really never fed cereal to my children growing up either. My son loved it as an after school snack, so I made their breakfast every morning; eggs, pancakes, muffins, waffles, whatever they wanted. 

Lately, however, I have really started to like granola. I like making granola and sometimes, I bake it into granola bars. As a cereal, granola eliminates the texture problem when I add milk. It also is a quick snack, mid-morning with yogurt… another texture problem for me. Have I told you that I really am not an ice cream fan!! Horrors.

Any way, here is my recipe for the basic granola.




Start with 3 cups of uncooked oats



Add ½ cup of pecans, ½ cup of almonds, 1/3 cup of sunflower seeds. Sometimes I use pistachios instead of pecans.



 Next melt over low heat, ¼ cup honey, ¼ cup maple syrup, ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, and 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Stir in oat mixture.



Next pour onto a lightly greased baking sheet. Spread evenly and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, or until golden. Stir every five minutes or so.
Spread on wax paper and let cool at least 30 minutes.


Now here comes the fun part: stir in 1 cup of chopped dried fruit; apricots, bananas, cherries, cranberries, whatever you decide you want your granola to taste like.   


I have added mini-chocolate chips, butterscotch or white chips. 






The granola will stay good for up to a month in an airtight container in a cool dry place. 

4 comments:

  1. Your granola looks good, but what I wanted to comment on was your garden. I clicked on your garden photo on the sidebar. Wow! Love the raised beds. Thanks for taking the time to blog. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great recipe....I'm not a fan of icecream either....

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter just informed me that she has no interest in cereal anymore- totally through me for a loop! Your granola looks really good! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I thought I was the only person in America that did not eat cereal! My almost-5-yr old son won't eat it either. I too make bacon and egg breakfasts for my son.
    I do like ice cream, but I do NOT like yogurt!!
    The granola looks good, but no coconut!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia