Friday, April 15, 2011

A Little Lemon Cake

I have been searching for a great yellow cake recipe. Most of the yellow cake recipes are dry and tasteless. This recipe from Martha Stewart looked promising, with the use of buttermilk but it included the zest of one lemon. I needed to bake a cake for a friend’s birthday so I thought I would give it a whirl. 
 


 Well, the cake is very good.

I always sift my dry ingredients. In this case, 2 ¼ c. of flour, 2 ¼ t. of baking powder and ¼ t. of salt.

First, you cream 1 ½ stick of unsalted butter at room temperature. Once the butter is light and fluffy, add 1 ½ cups of sugar. With an electric beater, on medium, beat until fully combined.

Next add 3 eggs, one at a time until fully incorporated.

Reduce the mixer to low speed and add flour mixture and ¾ c. of buttermilk, alternatively, ending with the flour. Carefully stir in zest.

Pour batter into pan, bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, turning halfway through. Once a toothpick comes out clean, remove and allow to cool on a baking rack until thoroughly cool.

Next, I made swiss meringue frosting for the cake, colored yellow for lemons. 
What a lovely icing, light and fluffy. Delicious, I will make the frosting another day.



Pretty candles help to dress up the cake. 



So pretty, and finally a good yellow cake. I am going to make the cake recipe again with vanilla extract and see if it is as good.


Lemon Cake
  • 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter room temperature, plus more for pans
  • 2 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
  • 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • Zest of 1 lemon

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful sunny looking cake. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your cake up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/04/sweets-for-saturday-13.html

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia