Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Architectual Elements in the Garden

I know I preach about making the vegetable garden pretty. But seriously, vegetable gardens can be drab or unsightly. Architectural elements turn a normal garden into a show place. They provide the same textural element to the garden as they do in any room. Crown molding makes a normal boxy room, a showplace.

My ultimate goal is to grow vegetables. But it has to be pretty!! 


You know my inspiration picture. 



Or the other most beautiful garden I know, Meryl Streep's Garden in the movie It's Complicated. This garden is beautiful because of the structures in the garden. 



These ladder trellises, $40, are pretty without any plants on them but when the peas are covering the trellises, you can image how pretty they will be.


 
Last year, I added this pretty iron bird bath from a yard sale for $5. 


This year, the bath got a pretty addition, a $1 cement bird from a yard sale, also. 


My garden is neatly mulched and outlined with a little iron fence around each bed. 


I know this is not the first time I have addressed the dowdy vegetable garden. It is my passion..... I want everyone's garden to be pretty. Let's face it, I want every yard to be pretty too. The vegetable garden should fit with the landscape not be an eyesore!!! So show us your pretty vegetable garden!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I loved her garden in that movie....yours looks great...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want them all to be pretty too...my husband says I'm a yard snob. In fact, we just got new neighbors and I was sweating it out to see what their yard philosophy would be. They are perfectionists. Yeah!!~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your garden. It is looking awesome! I was wondering if you knew where you found the second picture from. I would love to know which state the garden with the girl in the overalls is from.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia