Thursday, May 26, 2011

Blackberry Jam

I read this fantastic book, The Blue Chair Jam Cookbook and found some wonderful helpful hints to make and can jam. Rachel Saunders wrote a wonderful book full of beautiful pictures and tantalizing recipes. I decided to tackle some blackberry jam for the wedding guest hotel baskets.

Start with some beautiful fruit.  
  

And my new favorite item in my whole house…ahhh, a copper jam pan. It is not only pretty but it is very useful!!! 


First, put three clean metal spoons in the freezer on a plate. Trust me, you will need it. 


Next, take your clean and dried jars, line a baking sheet and set in a 250 degree oven for at least 30 minutes before you will need the jars.


Heat 5 cups of blackberries. (I froze these last summer and never got time to make jam)


Add pectin to the berries, a little at a time, stirring constantly. Once the berries come to a boil, add 7 c. of sugar all at once, have the sugar measured out ahead of time. 


Bring back to a full hard boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Take a spoon from the freezer and dip in the jam. 


Let it rest for three to four minutes and test if the jam is thickened enough. If it is, remove and get ready to fill your jars. 

Fill the jars to the bottom lip of the jar. Carefully wipe the lip of the jar to create a clean seal, add the clean sealed top and screw the ring on, loosely. 


Set the finished jars back in the oven (250 degrees) for another 15 minutes.
Remove and set on a cooling rack. Now, here is the fun part. Wait to hear the pops. As the jam and jar cool, a vacuum seal will occur with the vacuum 
pulling the sealed top into the jar, ever so slightly, creating a popping sound. I like to make sure I hear the same number of pops as I have jars. That way, I know the jam has sealed sufficiently. 


How much easier is the oven method than the messy water bath method? We added a sweet sticker of the happy couple.


Rachel Saunders is a genius. I am going to try this method on other items I want to can this summer. I will keep you posted.

3 comments:

  1. that is cool Cynthia....my grandmothers always made jams and jellys...a very fond memory...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never made jam and I want to try it this year, as soom as out local farmer's market has berries. I like the idea of the oven instead of a water bath,especially with my little guy hanging over me every minute!I'll have to let you know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that does look WAY easier than the water bath method! I'm bookmarking this one!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia