As a new bride, when my husband moved me South, I thought it was going to be a big cultural shock. I mean, I was from the East Coast, had attended a prestigious school and thought I knew everything about life. Well, let me tell you, the South was a culture shock. The food in the south was delicious, people were so friendly and I love the ladies of the South. Warm, generous and caring. One of my friends I met took me to a luncheon where they served this salad. It was love at first bite.
I have made this salad many times and never fail to remember how much I love it. Easy to make, spectacular visually and so tasty. With summer approaching, I thought you would want to make this salad for all your friends and family. They will beg you to make it often!!!
In a large bowl, layer one head of lettuce, thoroughly washed and dried but chopped in bite size pieces.
We are creating layers, hence the name.
- Red onions, I used 1/2 red onion, chopped
- Frozen thawed peas (10 oz bag)
- Shredded cheddar cheese (8 oz)
- Broccoli ( 1 cup chopped)
- Cook one pound of bacon in a large skillet until evenly browned. Crumble and set aside.
- Optional, hard boiled eggs, tomatoes, or any other salad item you like.
Mix mayonnaise, sugar and Parmesan cheese to make the dressing. Cover the salad like you are icing a cake.
Chill from 4 to 12 hours or overnight. Before serving, toss the salad thoroughly to combine all the layers.
When the salad is set on the table, it is a visual beauty but when the salad is eaten, heavenly!!!
Seven Layer Salad
- 1 pound bacon
- 1 large head iceberg lettuce - rinsed, dried, and chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen green peas, thawed
- 8 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped, broccoli
- 1 1/4 cups mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese