Friday, July 22, 2011

Lemon Poppy Seed Scones


Some of you know that I hate breakfast cereal. Muffins, eggs, pancakes, waffles are divine. But scones are my absolute favorite. Whether savory or sweet, I love scones, in the morning, in the evening and all day long… okay maybe not all day. But I have never made lemon poppy seed ones, muffins, yes but not scones. 

So after long research, I found a great recipe and now those scones are a favorite. 

Start with two lemons, I roll them when then 


Zest the two lemons, making sure not to get the pith or the white bitter into your lemon zest. 


In a food processor, add all purpose flour, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and finally, the lemon zest. 


And 1 stick of cold butter, cut into pieces. Pulse the mixture until the butter looks like small peas. 

 
Add the ¼ c. of lemon juice and ½ cup of heavy cream. Do you have a nifty tool to squeeze fruit. I love this juicer. 


It squeezes the heck of any fruit. 


Pulse in the food processor until the dough just barely forms a ball. Put onto a floured board and pat into a circle. 


Next, this is a new trick but wait until you see how easy it is to make the scones. Cut them into 8 wedges.. How easy is that? 


Place on a parchment lined baking sheet, brush with an egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. 


Bake at 400 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes.


YUM!!! Now the recipe called for the tablespoon of lemon juice to be mixed with ½ c. of confectioners’ sugar and glaze the scones when they are thoroughly cooled. I do not like anything on my scones… except butter or jam.
Very easy and you will love them.

3 comments:

  1. Cynthia, I am making these! YUMMY!
    Your scones look fabulous!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cynthia! I have to try this recipe. I love scones, but usually make cherry or cranberry. Thanks for sharing. They look delicious!
    -Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicous ! I am a huge scone fan and will definitely give these a try.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia