Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Corn Chowder


 
I know it is summer and may be a little hot for soup. But corn is in season and my goodness, this soup is so delicious, I powered through.... I mean good enough to slap your mama!!!

 



Start with four slices of bacon and 1/4 cup of olive oil in a large stock pot. I use my trusty French enamel pot.

Once the bacon is crisp, remove. Next add the sliced onions and cook until translucent, about 10 minutes. I add butter to make the onions more flavorful.

Once the onions are done, add flour, salt and pepper. Cook and stir for several minutes to cook off the rawness.... is that a word of the flour. Add the peeled potatoes and chicken stock, cook for about 12 minutes.

Add fresh corn and cook for another three minutes. I like to cook the corn in the soup. The corn cooking in the chicken stock adds loads of flavor. Once the potatoes and corn are fully cooked, add one cup of heavy cream, cooked bacon and cheddar cheese.

Cook five minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with some extra  bacon.  Oh my goodness that is so good. I am planning on freezing corn in the next week for the winter and will be freezing it in 5 cup increments to make this soup all winter.  Also, wouldn't this soup be lovely with cooked chicken added to it?

Make this dish soon, I promise you won't regret it. 



Corn Chowder

Ingredients

  • 4 ounces bacon, chopped
  • 1/4 cup good olive oil
  • 3 cups chopped yellow onions (2 large onions)
  • 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 6 cups chicken stock
  • 3 cups medium-diced  potatoes, peeled potatoes, about one pound
  • 5 cups corn kernels, fresh (5 ears) or frozen (1 1/2 pounds)
  • 1 cups heavy cream
  • 1/2 pound sharp white cheddar cheese, grated

2 comments:

  1. Oh, this is perfect for this time of year! YUMMY!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really delicious and seasonal-maybe a little chopped red pepper for color? I love the balance of broth and cream-not to heavy but silky. I will definitely try this. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia