Friday, August 26, 2011

Peach Pie


 I have some catching up with my thank you gifts to friends and neighbors. As you know, I love to bake and give my gifts away. And pie is a favorite!!!

As peaches are in full season, what better pie to make than a lovely peach pie for my neighbor.



Start with 3 lbs of fresh peaches



Peeled and sliced in a large bowl. 



Toss in sugar, quick-cooking tapioca, fresh lemon juice and salt. The lemon juice will prevent the peaches from turning brown. Let these peaches stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. The time allows the peaches, sugar and tapioca to set up. 


 


Fill the chilled bottom pie crust with the peach pie filling and top with one tablespoon of butter cut into small bits. By the way, I make a bunch of pie crusts... or the fancy term Pate Brisee and freeze them so I have plenty on hand when I want to make a pie!



Now I love a lattice pie and cannot stop making them. So I cut the top crust into strips and worked the top of the pie crust like a basket weave. Make sure the edges are sealed very well.


Brush with an egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.




Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes and then turn down to 350 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes, or until the peach mixture is bubbly.

Cool for an hour. 


Here is the fun part.... take a  pie box, found at many craft stores. Place a cute wax paper liner in the bottom of the pie box.


Tie with a beautiful baker's twine. I hope my lovely neighbor likes the pie.



Peach Pie

Ingredients
6 cups (2 1/2 pounds) (1.1 kg) fresh peaches
1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated white sugar
3 tablespoons (35 grams) quick cooking tapioca
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon (12 grams) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

1 comment:

  1. Looks so good! I love that you took the extra time to get a box and cute paper! Thanks for the imspiration...I'll be baking a pie this week!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia