Friday, September 09, 2011

Mile High Lemon Meringue Pie


As summer comes to a close, I wanted to end the summer baking with a fabulous Mile High Lemon Meringue pie. It's called a mile high... because, well, the meringue is nearly a mile high!!!!


This pie is a little complicated and I made one big mistake you can learn from and you won't repeat. 

Start with the pie crust. 


 Bake it blind at 400 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes, using pie weights to hold the pie down while cooking. 


Allow to cool and prepare the lemon filling:

Start with sugar, cornstarch, flour and  a pinch of salt in a medium sized heavy saucepan. On medium heat, mix and add water slowly until well blended. 

Bring to a boil, stirring constantly and cook for three minutes. Remove from the heat. 


Next, separate 6 eggs, yolks and whites. 


Slightly beat the 6 egg yolks. Slowly pour half of the sugar mixture into the egg yolks to temper the eggs. Then add the eggs and sugar mixture to the sauce pan. Return to the heat..... Here is my mistake, bring to a boil, stirring constantly and cook for three more minutes. 


Add lemon peel, lemon juice and butter. I did not cook this long enough. The recipe says to cook for two more minutes stirring constantly. The mixture will get thick. I would cook it for five minutes to make sure the lemon mixture is thick enough.


Now my favorite part. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In my handy mixture, I beat the 6 egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy.


Once the meringue was foamy, I started to add 3/4 c. of sugar, one tablespoon at a time... add 1 t. vanilla extract and the last tablespoon of sugar. 


Beat until soft peaks.


Now time to put the pie together...

Spread the lemon mixture in the bottom of the baked pie crust.


Top with the meringue, spreading to touch the edges of the pies and make pretty peaks in the pie.


Bake for 15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool four hours at room temperature before serving.


My mistake by not cooking the mixture longer, made the lemon mixture runny. It was still delicious but runny. Cooking the mixture longer, should fix that problem.



 So good, I loved it even runny!

 

LEMON FILLING

  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 1 dash salt
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 6 egg yolks (slightly beaten)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon peel, grated
  • 6 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons butter

MERINGUE

  • 6 egg whites (at room temperature)
  • 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 3/4 cup sugar

3 comments:

  1. my husband would love that pie...he loves lemon meringue...I will have to write down the recipe for him...he is the baker around here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny. I was looking these up yesterday. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good, but since I am the only sweets eater here, I probably won't attempt it. Unless I file it for Thanksgiving and feed it to my grands:)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia