Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Beef Stew and Beer Bread


I love this time of year. A big bowl of stew and a slice of hearty bread make the warmest and coziest dinner. Beef Stew can be a wonderful easy dinner with a few steps of preparation.
 




First step, I brown the meat...Now there are two important things to remember when you brown meat. Dry the meat before you brown it. And you can do this step at any time… browning meat can be accomplished several days ahead of time and combined for stew during the week. Prepping ingredients ahead of time is a trick of mine. 

 


Add onion, beef stock, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, bay leaves, onion, salt, sugar, pepper, paprika, and allspice. I know this sounds weird, sugar and allspice. But it really adds some great depth to the stew.

Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours. Your house will smell like you are the best cook in the entire world. 



Remove bay leaves. Add carrots, potatoes and celery. Cover and cook 30 to 40 minutes longer. 

To thicken gravy, remove 1/2 cup of the beef stock and add two tablespoons of cornstarch until smooth. Mix with a little hot liquid and return mixture to pot. Stir and cook until bubbly. And you are done. 

 While the beef stew is cooking, I love to whip up a loaf of beer bread. This bread is new to me but oh my goodness, it is delicious. And as we have a bunch of parties and lots of old beer at our house. It is a wonderful way to get rid of some nasty cheap beer that my hubby buys… I like to combine the dry ingredients and store a couple in Ziploc bags for beer bread emergencies. 



I spray a loaf pan and combine the dry ingredients and a 12 oz. bottle of beer. Pour over melted butter and voila, you have beer bread. Bake at 375 degrees for one hour. Cool for 15 minutes. Now let me urge you to sift the dry ingredients before you make this bread. This is a dense bread and sifting it will make it lighter…. 



Enjoy, you will love this bread with this stew, any chili or soup.

 

Old-Time Beef Stew

Ingredients

  • 2 pounds stew beef
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 cups beef stock
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 clove garlic, peeled
  • 1 or 2 bay leaves
  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • Dash ground allspice or ground cloves
  • 3 large carrots, sliced
  • 3 ribs celery, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch

Beer Bread
  • 3 cups flour (sifted)
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 (12 ounce) can beer
  • 1/4 cup melted butter (1/4 cup will do just fine)
Mix dry, sifted ingredients and add beer. Pour into a greased loaf pan and pour melted butter. Bake at 375 degrees for one hour.

4 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy! I've saved the Beer Bread recipe to try soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stew is so tasty and comforting when the weather gets colder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks delicious and makes me want to go purchase some beef to make a stew. The recipe is very close to the one I've made for years from the red plaid Better Homes and Garden classic cookbook.
    I've even prepared the stew (and biscuits) in a Dutch Oven at a campground for friends. It really is a good recipe. I think I HAVE to go grocery shopping today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks good...making me hungry...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia