Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Grilled Skirt Steak Gyros


Our family loves gyros. And they are hard to find so for years, I have wanted to make homemade ones. But they looked intimidating. So last week, I gathered up my nerve and decided to whip these up. They did not seem too tough and with skirt steak, vs lamb, I thought the family might like them better. The complicated part of gyros is the preparation. 


First, I made a marinade for the steak, using 1/3 c. of olive oil, 3 cloves of garlic minced, 1 t. dried oregano, salt and pepper. All added into a Ziploc bag with the steak and allowed to sit in the fridge for 4 to 8 hours. 


At the same time, I took 8 oz. of greek yogurt, placed in a cheesecloth and allowed to drain in the fridge for 4 to 8 hours. 


I also, shredded a seeded cucumber. Placed in a cheese cloth and another strainer, I allowed the cucumber to drain in the fridge for 4 to 8 hours also. Note, make sure your cucumber is covered with plastic wrap… seriously, everything that was uncovered in my fridge took on the flavor of cucumber.

Now the complicated part of the gyro is done. For the tzasiki sauce, I combined the yogurt, cucumber, ½ c. sour cream, ½ t. champagne vinegar, 1 ½ t. salt, 2 cloves of garlic, minced, 1 ½ t. fresh dill and a pinch of black pepper. Put back in the fridge until the meat is grilled. 


Remove the skirt steak from the marinade. Grill on either side, 7 to 9 minutes, until cooked medium well. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. 

Meanwhile, heat pita bread . I wrapped each one with aluminum foil and placed in a warm oven. 


Once fully rested, slice in narrow strips against the grain. Place meat on the pita bread. Top with red onions, tomatoes and spoon the cucumber sauce in the center of the pita. 



Absolutely delicious.... out of this world good. You should really try it.

3 comments:

  1. You had me at gyros! I'm definitely going to make this. The marinade would be good for grilled chicken thighs as well. I've done that using lots of fresh oregano from the garden. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am on my way to get the Greek yogurt! Thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. your recipes always look so good...hope all is going well in your world Cynthia...Happy Holidays...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia