Saturday, November 12, 2011

Wedding: Ribbon Streamers


Remember when I told you my daughter wanted her wedding to be a Jane Austin wedding?

It all started when the church would only allow birdseed to be thrown as the bride and groom left the church. In addition to only birdseed, you had to come back after the wedding and clean up the birdseed before church. 






In our search for an alternative to birdseed, we were watching Sense and Sensibility for wedding inspiration and spied these streamers…. Bingo! Not only would they be better than birdseed but I could imagine the beautiful pictures the streamers would provide. 

After tons of research and experimenting, I found 36 inch wooden dowels that ¼ inch thick. The thickness was important to allow the wood to bend and not be too stiff, giving movement to the streamers. 

We painstakingly removed the stickers. Spray painted the wood dowels with an Heirloom White spray paint. 

Next, I cut the larger, 1 ¼ inch ribbon to 36 inches and the three smaller, 5/8 inch, ribbons to 24 inches. 

We found a pretty ribbon wedding garland and I added it to the streamer.
I sewed the larger ribbon and two smaller ribbons approximately four inches from the end. 


Cut both ends of the ribbon to make a pretty edge. 

With fabric glue, I attached the three ribbons and the flower streamer. With the smaller blue ribbon, I made a pretty bow. 



Once the fabric glue dried, they became a beautiful arrangement for the urns in the Narthex of the church. 



As you can see, we were right. The pictures are beautiful. Exactly what we wanted.

4 comments:

  1. The ribbons were a fabulous idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning! Love them! A lot of work, I'm sure, but worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a neat idea...great photo...

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this. Must keep it in our daughter's wedding file.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia