Thursday, December 15, 2011

Polka Dot Cake


Several years ago, I begged, pleaded and bribed my family for this Christmas cake plate for Christmas. And my son was so kind to his poor old mother that he bought her this cake plate.


The cake plate is beautiful and inspired me to make some fancy cupcakes a couple of years ago. 

But how about a Red Velvet Cake for this pretty cake plate. 




Beautiful, huh




Oh wait




It get better

Because I thought how much more fun would a red velvet polka dot cake be?




I mean on the inside




Is that not amazing?

No, I did not learn how to defy the laws of baking


But with the help of this blog, the cake pop baker and my lovely daughter, I baked cake pops with a white cake mix.



Used my sister’s fabulous red velvet cake recipe. But before the cake went into the oven, plopped the cake balls into the batter. 



My only mistake was not putting more cake balls in tightly. I should have also added a few halved cake balls. 





Bake the cake as normal, I had to add about five extra minutes to the red velvet baking time. 


But the cake came out perfectly. I would have thought the cake pops would have been dry but they were perfect even baked a second time in the cake.

How pretty is this cake?


I can imagine a beautiful polka dot cake for a bridal shower, Easter or any fancy girl occasion. It makes for a fun surprise when you cut the cake. 

I am joining Foodie Friday.


7 comments:

  1. Cynthia that is just the most awesome cake I've ever seen...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a FABULOUS idea!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never saw it before, but now that I have, I won't forget it!! I have so many ideas of ways to use this technique. LOVE IT!!!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay I love that cake plate and you know why? I have the same one!!! and the cake pop maker? I am thinking I am going to need one of those!!!

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is cool! I want one of those cake pop bakers, I didn't know there was such an animal in the forest...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute! I really like red and white dots too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok so I have a new favorite blog, and the fact that you are local is just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonjour, super idée j'adore et c'est vraiment très jolie

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia