Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Texas Beef Brisket


This Saturday, the boys and I did a bunch of yard work. While the hubby is out of town, I have not cracked open the grill yet but the boys needed a hearty dinner that was more like spring than like winter. I mean look at them trimming the wisteria... those boys are going to be hungry.




So enter beef brisket. I started with a 6 pound brisket and rinsed it under cold water. Pat dry with paper towels. 





In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, salt, garlic powder, onion powder,  black pepper, sugar, dry mustard and the bay leaf. 



 
Rub brisket with the rub on all sides. Doesn't it look gorgeous.


Next, roast at 350 for one hour, in a large roasting pan.


Add one and a half cups of beef stock, and enough water to make sure the brisket sits in 1/2 inch of liquid. 

Cover with aluminum foil...and cook at 300 degrees for at least three hours or until the meat thermometer reads about 190 hours. 

Remove from the liquid and cover with foil. Let rest 15 minutes. 

Slice against the grain. Sorry for the bad picture. My iPhone got steamed and the boys were behind me for plates.... I did not have time to get the big camera. 


The brisket was delicious. The rub made it spicy without being too spicy. The other best part.... the dinner cooked all day while I was outside and when we came in... the house smelled like heaven.


Texas Brisket
1 (5 to 6-pound) brisket, trimmed but left with a layer of fat about 1/4- inch thick
2 T chili powder
2 T. salt
1 T. garlic powder
1 T. onion powder
1 T. black pepper
1 T. sugar
2 t. dry mustard
1 bay leaf, crushed
1 ½ c. beef stock

1 comment:

  1. I bet they enjoyed that brisket...hubby loves to cook briskets on his smoker..

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia