Thursday, April 12, 2012

A Baseball Birthday and Home Coming Party



Last week, my son-in-law, not only had a birthday but was also finished with his Navy obligation. He has moved home for the first time since the young couple got married last June. 


As a lifelong Boston Red Sox fan, I thought he deserved a baseball party and the colors fit perfect with his homecoming. 





With geraniums as a centerpiece, flanked by Salt Water Taffy his favorite, the party started with some delicious baseball snacks....




I set a table for the adults and another table for the young adults. 




Red Spode dinner plates with a fabulous Tuesday Morning find, blue and white accent plates at $1.99. Such a great find. 

Each guest got a baseball bat with some bubble gum!





Extra Baseball bats were set aside for the younger crowd. 






A vintage but carefully washed baseball held down the red and white gingham paper in my beautiful Pottery Barn wire baskets. We fed the guests typical baseball fare... hot dogs and sliders.



Vintage bakelight flatware makes the table feel like a treasured baseball glove, well worn but loved. Wine glasses, a birthday gift from a dear friend, are so nice and plastic.... from Pottery Barn. Very beautiful.




Peanuts and Cracker Jacks... not as good as at a baseball game but a very special touch for him.




Baseball tablecloth holders continue the them....




Don't you love the simplicity of geraniums in a galvinized tub. They make an effortless centerpiece.




I did include a very non-traditional food but as a Mom, I want those kids to eat their vegetables.




I found his favorite Boston Red Sox player for the center of his birthday cake.




Happy Birthday Patrick and Welcome Home







The baby was concerned that everyone was having a good time.... 




But Grandaddy assured him that everyone was okay and told him a very interesting story.




And Dad made sure the baby had fun times.... check out the baseball socks.




I hope Patrick did too...






As always, I am joining Susan at her fabulous Tablescape Thursday party. 

 
Sources
Linens:        Red White and Blue Tablecloth       
Dinner Plates:   Spode Baking Days  Red Polka Dot
Accent Plates: White with Blue Stripes - Tuesday Morning.
Pottery Barn Basket with Red and White Under       
Flatware:   Bakelight - Antique Store
Accessories: Baseball Table Clips - Tuesday Morning
Wine Glasses - Pottery Barn, Birthday gift.
                  

                   Menu:
                            
                             Hot Dogs and Sliders with all the trimmings.
                             Potato Salad
                             Baked Beans with cocktail wienies
                             Vegetables with Ranch
                             Peanuts in Wax paper Bags
                            


9 comments:

  1. Cynthia, I enjoyed visiting your blog today and think your table looks fantastic.

    Job well done.
    d from home haven

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful "Welcome Home and Birthday Party"! Everything looks so festive and fun...can't imagine it could have been any better. I also loved the way his birthday greeting was written on the side of the cake...that was so unexpected. Great Job!
    Blessings!
    Geneva

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY!!! This is gorgeous! I am saving this page for my son's next birthday...23 in October, and he's a major baseball fan. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!
    So glad you shared.
    Much love,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  4. And birthday wishes for your son-in-law. By the way, we're three generations Red Sox fans. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not think that your son-in-law will ever have a bad Mother-in-law story, after this - lol!! Everyone in my family is a huge baseball fan (Atlanta Braves - sorry!!) and I have never thought to do such a creative table. You must have spent so much time getting everything together. I love it - thanks for sharing it with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute! I clicked the Google "+1" button for this one! This is a really great demonstration of a sport-themed table! Lots of wonderful details (I especially loved the peanuts and Cracker Jacks!) that I'm sure had everyone oohing and aahing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful tablescape. My dad is a huge baseball fan --- I'll have to remember this for nest year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you sure know how to throw a party Cynthia...looks like everyone was having fun...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I came back just as I had commented in April. Our son's 23rd is this week and I am on the hunt for all the goodies. I couldn't find everything and our table is smaller, but I thank you again for the inspiration. Ordered a similar cake too. ;) Will post if I'm brave.
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia