Friday, May 11, 2012

My first Macaron


 I have been dying to make some macarons. Now, I live in Knoxville. A wonderful  town but other than a small French Creperie in town, that sells the world’s smallest and most expensive macarons. They are not found in this town.
 




We have a baby shower coming up and I wanted to make colored macarons for the shower. So I attempted them myself.

Starting with Tartelette’s tutorial that I found on Bakerella’s website.. I followed all the directions very carefully.

I only wish I had taken some pictures. I promise I will take pictures when I make them for a shower.

Start with 90 grams of aged egg whites, left at room temperature overnight. Whip the egg whites until they are slightly stiff and foamy. Add two T. of sugar. Continue to beat until the meringue is glossy. Do not overbeat.

Add 110 grams of ground almonds and 200 grams of powdered sugar. I love using a kitchen scale. Fold in the egg whites. She says you don’t have to be too gentle but I was a little scared.

I did not add food color but will add it for the shower.

Next pipe the mixture onto a baking sheet lined with either parchment or a silicone liner. Making little circles. I got 24 out of this batch.

Let sit for one hour until hardened.

Bake at 300 degrees for 18 to 20 minutes. Let them cool.

I made a chocolate ganache. After cooled, fill the cookies very carefully with the cooled ganache. Sandwich it and look how beautiful.



I had the family taste test compared with the fancy Creperie’s macarons and mine were perfect. Great for the first try. Next up, macarons for a baby shower.



P. S. I ground the almonds in a food processor. 


1 comment:

  1. 90 grams of aged egg whites, left at room temperature overnight - Grams? Regular measurements please? Room temp overnight? This is complicated......good for you for being so creative.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia