Sunday, July 01, 2012

Fourth of July Table



It is almost 100 degrees every day this weekend. We are having a cookout on Wednesday but today, I am serving the family brunch inside. The Fourth of July is one of my favorite holidays. For the brunch, I wanted to put together a fun table that wasn’t your typical Fourth of July.


My goal was to have the table feel like an old flag... tea stained... so start with a red and khaki tablecloth…


Added two flag poles, I had made earlier.





The fabulous Uncle Sam hat my daughter lent me… she does have the best taste. I think she gets it from her mother. 

 





The plates are simple to keep the focus on the decorations.






Of course, I added little patriotic fans… hey it is 100 and the house is cool but they can still get hot... 




Flag Salt and Pepper shakers... so cute.





Red flatware looks beautiful against the tablecloth.



 


  I made these flag poles after seeing Martha Stewart's flag poles. They were $50 and mine were $5.







The decorations on the table are so fabulous that the focus needs them.... it is a grand ole Flag!!!

 
 


I do love this little bucket... if it wasn't brunch, I would have filled it with candy. 








 I hope you like the table... it is so pretty and festive. I am in the spirit for the Fourth...
 




I am including the story of George Washington praying at Valley Forge.... it is a moving story about one of our darkest hours as a independent nation.



The Prayer at Valley Forge

"I was riding with Mr. Potts near to the Valley Forge where the army lay during the war of ye Revolution, when Mr. Potts said, 'Do you see that woods & that plain? There laid the army of Washington. It was a most distressing time of ye war, and all were for giving up the Ship but that great and good man. In that woods (pointing to a close in view) I heard a plaintive sound as of a man at prayer. I tied my horse to a sapling & went quietly into the woods. To my astonishment I saw the great George Washington on his knees alone, with his sword on one side and his cocked hat on the other. He was at Prayer to the God of the Armies, beseeching to interpose with his Divine aid, as it was ye Crisis & the cause of the country, of humanity & of the world. Such a prayer I never heard from the lips of man. I left him alone praying. I went home & told my wife. We never thought a man could be a soldier & a Christian, but if there is one in the world, it is Washington. We thought it was the cause of God & America could prevail."
- Source: Eyewitness testimony of Isaac Potts, a Valley Forge resident who shared the following story with the Rev. Nathaniel Randolph Snowden (1770-1851), who then recorded it in his "Diary and Remembrances."


Sources:
Table Linens: Home Goods
Chargers: Ikea
Plates: Biltmore- Belk
Accent Plates: Fiesta Ware
Flatware: Cambridge - Tuesday Morning
Glasses: Noritake Sweet Swirl
Salt and Pepper Shakers: TJ Maxx - a long time ago
Uncle Sam Hat - Carolina Pottery

I am joining Susan at Between Naps on the Porch
Sherry at No Minimalist Here






11 comments:

  1. Lovely table. Will you share how you made your flag poles?
    Blessing,
    Lorilee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Red, White and Blue it is! and you've done great.
    Sure do like this festive look.
    God bless you and God Bless America,
    d

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this whole table -- and the tablecloth IS the perfect backdrop to all your festive additions. I really love the flag poles -- you are clever to copy Martha so inexpensively! Love the fans on the plates -- I know your family and friends were charmed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, wow...you MADE those flag stands??? Really??? They're really great! You did an excellent job on those! The hat is really cool, too. It reminds me of that big ol' hat Apollo Creed was wearing when he entered the ring in "Rocky"!!! :-) Your salt & pepper shakers are really unique, too! Very nice table, and I hope you had a wonderful 4th of July celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great table! I believe you are right - your daughter gets her fabulous taste from her mother. I'm sure your 4th was enjoyed at this table.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful patriotic table. Love the hat! The flags look wonderful in your flag stand...Clever...
    Adore the salt and pepper shakers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love love love your centerpiece idea! What a great idea to have the flag holders... you could use them anytime of the year with different colored flags to match the season! so cute. Come link up to Centerpiece Wednesday!
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful table! I love those flag stand...they are amazing. Hope you enjoyed your time with your family and they enjoyed your wonderful and festive table.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great 4th of July table. It is so festive. Now I want to go out and buy red and blue dishes. I have the white but I better get prepared for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a playful and fun table. Your touches of whimsy are terrific and totally capture the holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great table!!! I LOVE your flag poles...they are just charming and make the table shout 4th of July!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia