Thursday, August 16, 2012

Blueberries, Delphiniums and Snapdragons, oh my



 I have had several young girls from my college Sunday School class that have recently got married and are setting up households. My favorite thing to do is to teach… whether it is Economics or baking, 



I love teaching. So I decided to teach these girls how to make blueberry jam. With that in mind, I wanted to have a wonderful lunch for our class.




First I found this beautiful blue toile tablecloth that I absolutely love. It goes with my kitchen perfectly.

 


Next, I found some snapdragons and delphiniums for the vase.




I mixed both a soft bluish aqua with a blue patterned accent plate. Even though the tablecloth is busy, the charger and dinner plate provide enough anchoring to have a busy accent plate.




Love the mix of the tablecloth and the accessories....
 



My favorite feminine napkins with pewter tea napkin rings.



Tea was available for the girls after lunch.




The star of the lunch, in these adorable ceramic fruit baskets.




The twisted flatware, provide such a wonderful texture.



Candlesticks and pretty blue glasses help to pull the table together.



Here are the jars ready for the jam on a French drying rack.




Another look at the blueberries.



We had a wonderful afternoon making jam, eating, laughing and spilling the secrets of a happy marriage…And of course, I sent the girls home with their jam.. They did a great job!!

Menu

Grilled Flank Steak Salad with Blueberry Vinaigrette
Blueberry Muffins
Lemon Tart with whipped Cream and fresh blueberries


I am joining Susan and her fabulous party, again. 


Source:
Table Linens: William Sonoma
Napkins: Pier One
Glasses: Carolina Pottery
Chargers: Ikea
Dinner Plates: Portmeirion
Accent Plates: Johnson Brothers Devon
Napkin Rings: Ebay
Pitcher: Home Goods
Candlesticks: Yard Sales

17 comments:

  1. Cynthia, I think this might be your prettiest table yet! (Of course I am a blue and white lover so I might be biased.) The jars on the French drying rack are a gorgeous touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a gorgeous table. I LOVE your blue china.

    Jocelyn @
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hats off to you, Jocelyn, for taking the time to pass on your skill!!! I hope the girls were able to leave with a new-found appreciation for making homemade jam AND for a beautifully set table! This is so well done with the gorgeous table linen and the beautiful flowers. I love those cool ceramic berry baskets!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi darling, what a beautiful, beautiful table. Blue and white always steals my heart. hugs ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fortunate young women to have you as a mentor. Beautiful setting for your girls. Love all the blue and white.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blueberries are always a PERFECT STAR for a tablescape. Add the fact you are passing on your skills for blueberry jam. "That is Priceless"! Are you going to share your recipe with us???
    Your French Drying rack is GORGEOUS and it's right at the TOP of my FUN wishlist...
    Have a wonderful week,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful that you were able to teach them a skill to carry them through life. I love your wonderful dishes especially on the tablecloth.. It's just a wonderful mix. Beautiful flowers too. I do love the French drying rack. I think I must find one for my self!!! xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this table, the blueberries are a prefect touch. Can't wait for our trip to IKEA!!!! Love ya mom!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful table! Love the tablecloth, china and glasses!
    That's wonderful that you shared the art of making jam together and some quality time to boot!
    I've seen the french drying racks but really didn't visualize how to use them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just pure loveliness. ♥ 'Happy to have found your blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful table! I love the blue and white. Aren't those ceramic fruit baskets fun? I got mine last year and can't believe how often I've used them. Your tablecloth is so pretty. How wonderful that you are passing on the art of making jam. They will always remember this day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love everything about this tablescape from the color palette to each and every item. So pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Cynthia, I love your name. My sister shared your name. Your table is so beautiful. Blue and white us always so elegant. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful!! Your table is so soft and sweet, from the toile tablecloth, eyelet napkins and beautiful flowers to the tiny scallop on the plates it all comes together so nicely. and to top it all off with the cute little blueberry baskets! Who knew blueberries could be so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your table. I have the same cloth, and I'm going to remember your particular mix of wonderful blues....just gorgeous. I'm so glad that you've shared your gift for entertaining with the precious young wives. Your efforts will cause them to fall in love with the art of gracious entertaining, too. Thanks for inviting us for a peak. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  16. So beautiful Cynthia. I am a lover of blue and white too. I haven't always been but lately I have fallen in love with blue and blue. Your tablescape is simply gorgeous. Love every piece of it. It's going to take me a while to build so many pieces of blue and white. Yours are so lovely and so is your centerpiece with the Delphiniums and Snapdragons.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia