Monday, August 06, 2012

Motivational Monday... Monthly Goals


As you notice, every month I post my Monthly Goals. They are part of a bigger picture. Things on my New Year’s Resolutions, items from my larger to do list and just plain things I want to accomplish because I always love a challenge. I always try to include three types of goals in every to do list.
         
1.    The must do’s …. Every month has certain chores that should be accomplished around the home, business or family. August brings freshening up the garden, re-potting flowers, getting ready for school, etc. These monthly goals are easy when you have a yearly maintenance calendar for your home. We will work on that next week. 



  As much as I love to garden, it requires weeding every two days... and this is on my list until October.


2.    “The want to do’s if I had more time in my day”… What have you been wanting to learn, do, see, read or accomplish? How are you ever going to get them done if you never even plan for them. The monthly goals allow you to stop and think about these items. Work out more, lose weight? 




     I have been working on my office for almost a year and finally, it is almost finished. What it took was work every month, tweaking and working to make it exactly what I wanted. 

3.    Lastly, the “If I had all the time in the world, what would I want to do?” Italian has been on this list for almost a year and a half. I also want to buy a bike and start riding. Planning vacation, learning about antiques, etc.


Another way to break down these goals is chores, short term goals and long term goals. But my way sounds more fun.

Now, you will notice, I start with the must do’s to the dreams. But in reality, these are in the wrong order. We should start with the last one first. How did we get so set in our ways that we start with what we have to do every time we set goals.

My philosophy is that is exactly the result of not setting goals. We should start with our “If I had all the time in the world goals….” Our Bucket List. These goals make us young, interesting and alive… they set us to break out of our molds…

Write down your bucket list…or at least start thinking about it.

I am trying to learn Italian because one of my “bucket” list dreams is to visit the Vatican and hear the Pope on Good Friday and on Easter. Now, I am not Catholic but the majesty of these holy days make me study Italian the few hours a month I can spare.




Okay, one of my must-do’s every month is to make my menu for the month… so here is this week’s

                  
Monday

 
   

Southwest Chicken Salad

Tuesday

 


Greek Pasta Salad
Hummus
Grilled Pitas


Wednesday

 



Peach Glazed Chicken
Hasselback Potatoes
Sauteed Snow Peas


Thursday

Out with Family


Friday




Chipotle Pulled Pork
Red Cabbage Cole Slaw
Loaded Baked Potato Salad


Saturday



 Cobb Salad

Sunday Dinner



Mushroom Frittata
Hash Browns
Strawberry Bread


I am joining Yvonne's Menu party. She has some pretty fabulous ideas!!

2 comments:

  1. Cynthia, What fabulous advice! I Think sometimes I get so stuck in the 'HAVE TO" rut that I forget to live my dreams! Your menu looks fabulous!Thanks for pushing me over-the-top at ON THE MENU MONDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you'd like a tool for setting your goals, you can use this web application:

    http://www.Gtdagenda.com

    You can use it to manage your goals, projects and tasks, set next actions and contexts, use checklists, and a calendar.
    Syncs with Evernote and Google Calendar, and also comes with mobile version, and Android and iPhone apps.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia