Friday, October 19, 2012

A Ruffly Birthday Cake



For my daughter's wedding, she had a beautiful wedding cake but she really wanted this cake. However, the baker told her it was too difficult for her to make.
So for her birthday and her ruffly Birthday table, I decided to make a similar cake, which became the inspiration for her ruffly birthday party. I was a little intimidated but found this tutorial.

I had taken beautiful tutorial pictures for this post but alas, my camera card died with all those pictures. It took me a week to figure out if the camera was defunct or the card. So apologize and will attempt this tutorial again in the near future. 
Buttercream the entire cake. Cut the fondant to fit the top of the cake. Next, take a piece of fondant and place on a corn starched work space. Roll until thin, approximately 1/8 inch thick, keep lifting the fondant to make sure it doesn't stick to the work board. Measure and trim the fondant strip to 1 1/2 inch wide.

I carefully rolled one side of the fondant with a stick to make the side more ruffly. Wet the side of the cake and attach the fondant to the cake. Make sure not to add too much water to the cake. Fondant and water don't mix too well.




I folded some of the strip to make it even more ruffly. Keep adding ruffles around the cake. I added 6 layers of ruffles.




It looks very close to the wedding cake. So pretty and feminine.




Here is her instagram picture of her real birthday cake.

1 comment:

  1. I love this cake you did a great job!!! It look so much like the original idea!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia