Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Mini Chicken Pot Pie



My family absolutely loves my chicken pot pie. I love making my chicken pot pie. And both of my children are very busy with new spouse, grandbaby, school and both working. So what better item to put in their freezers than Mini-Chicken Pot Pies. But a regular size pie would go to waste.




So I came up with the old fashioned pot pie you could find in any freezer section in the grocery store. I use inexpensive bowls that can be placed in the oven.

Start with several rotisserie chickens. Cut up into small pieces.

Peel and dice three potatoes. Boil in 6 cups of chicken stock until fork tender. Approximately 10 minutes.

Next heat 12 tablespoons of butter. Saute one onion, chopped until translucent. Add 3/4 cup of flour and stir for at least two minutes, making a roux. Add chicken stock and potatoes. Continue to heat.

Add all the vegetables you want to add. I always put in peas, carrots and corn. My chicken pot pie is always very rich. Some people add beans or broccoli. I am not a fan and it does not freeze as well if you add broccoli.

Once the vegetables are heated through. Add the chopped chicken, salt, pepper and cream. Keep on a low simmer to thicken. It should take approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
Now, place the chicken mixture into the containers you want to freeze. I purchased these small pie plates for the purpose of freezing pies for the kids or friends.

Brush the edges of the pie with egg to allow the pie crust to adhere. Cover the chicken mixture with pie crust, adding vents to allow steam to escape. Brush the top with the egg wash and sprinkle a little salt.



Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until the crust is brown and the pie is bubbling.



If you undercook the pies a little, that will allow you to reheat the pie once it is thoroughly defrosted in the oven, covered with aluminum foil for 20 minutes until you have a bubbling pie again.

2 comments:

  1. I can honestly say...I've never made a chicken pie, but these look really good! I'm going to try making them soon. Thanks for sharing. Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love C pot pie too. I make it much the same way as you. Just today I picked and looked at a set of baking dishes that were small. There were three glass dishes with lids. The selling point was that the three dishes equal one recipe. Gave it a moment of consideration and then put it back on the shelf. They would have worked very nicely for something like this though.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia