Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Thanksgiving Planning #2 and Menu Week Ending 10/14


Last week, we looked around the house and made a list of things that need to be done. This week, I am focusing on my vision of Thanksgiving.

What is your vision of Thanksgiving? Be honest, you think of the most beautiful table with a mouth-watering turkey, browned and buttered to perfection. You want to be the hostess everyone talks about when they leave your home. Your side dishes are so spectacular you have no leftovers. The family sings Kamba Ya around the table. Applauds you when dinner is done!

 Really, what is your vision. Do you have an inspiration picture? Pinterest is filled with possible inspirations. I always pick an inspiration picture for every holiday or party. I have vision pictures for the garden. It provides a direction for how I want something to look. 

 
I love this picture... simple plates with simple ribbon and leaf on the plate. 

In this case, what the table will look and what menu items. The problem with Thanksgiving is that most magazines filled with inspiring recipes and pictures of tables come out in November. I am here to tell you that when it comes to planning, earlier is better. 


I start planning in September. Now in my defense, I have a big Halloween party and swing right into a big Christmas season after Thanksgiving. But earlier is better. In addition, the best decorations are gone by the time you think about starting planning in November.
 
 
1.    This week, find a vision picture and print it out. Carry it with you and post it on your wallpaper as your background.
2.    Start a list of what you want to do and how you want your table to look.
3.    Keep working your list on the home. I have a call into the upholsterer again, he has a small project to do for me and I am sure that I am low on his priority. But he is high on my priority list. 


This week's menu is simple but delicious. I have everything already cooked and just have to put it together at the last minute. Do you cook ahead? Saturdays are filled with projects and cooking in my home. The house if filled with the most wonderful smells. By cooking ahead, I can send meals to hubby's apartment, the young married couple or my son, the bachelor. I love cooking in bulk and will show you soon, my freezer filled with dinners.


Tuesday





Beef Tacos with Spanish Rice
Black Beans with Monterrey Jack Cheese


Wednesday



Classic Meatloaf
Roasted Root Vegetables
Garden Salad


Thursday

 


Cheese Grits with Shrimp
Cole Slaw

Friday

Out with the Family


Saturday


 Beef Stew
Beer Bread


Sunday Brunch

 


Bacon Cups with Herb Eggs and Goat Cheese
Hashbrowns
Fruit Salad

1 comment:

  1. My vision of Thanksgiving doesn't really include decor. For us it includes lots and lots of people and lots of food. Never give the decor much thought because it isn't at my house. :)

    Your menu looks wonderful as always. Reminds me that I need to make a meatloaf.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia