Friday, February 22, 2013

Lemon Poppy Seed Scones




Scones are one of my favorite food. Of course, anything that falls into the bread family is one of my favorite foods. These scones are light and delicious with a hint of lemon. Who doesn't love lemon, especially in the winter.



Start with self-rising flour, add sugar, poppy seeds and  butter cut up into small pieces. The butter should be as cold as possible. Process in a food processor until the dough resembles small peas. I also sometimes like to use a pastry blender.

Next, add lemon zest, lemon juice and whipping cream.

Pulse until the dough just pulls together into a ball.

On a lightly floured board, knead dough slightly until the dough is not sticky.

Roll out until 3/4 inch thick. I use a round biscuit cutter but you can cut into pie wedges from the circle of dough.

Brush with an egg wash and sprinkle sugar on top.


Bake at 400 degrees for 13 to 15 minutes.


Absolutely the perfect breakfast or afternoon snack. I love to put my feet up after a tough day and drink a diet coke with a warm scone!!! As good as a Calgon Bubble Bath!!!

Lemon Poppy Seed Scones

3 c. self-rising flour
1/2 c. sugar
3 T. poppy seeds
3/4 c. butter
3/4 c. whipping cream
3 T. lemon juice
2 T. lemon zest.

2 comments:

  1. I love scones. These look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yum! And I don't just mean for the scones. You always have the prettiest dishes too. So glad I am finally back into blogging regularly again. I have missed visiting!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia