Friday, May 31, 2013

Hummingbird Cake



As a Northern Girl, I married a Southern gentleman, Mississippi born, SEC football and Confederate loving, raised on butter beans, cornbread and fried chicken and catfish. Needless to say, my mother in law was not too impressed with my cooking. My hubby has a love of all things Southern and through the years, I have tried to fill my mother in law’s shoes with Southern Cooking. I have succeeded in some things and failed at other things. One thing that my husband loves more than anything is banana pudding. One of my least favorite foods. 



So with that in mind, for Memorial Day, to remember his parents. I am making him my version of his favorite dish. A Hummingbird Cake… old fashioned filled with bananas and memories of my lovely in laws.
This cake is easy to put together. Moist and full of flavor, the cake does not disappoint. 


Combine eggs, sugar, salt, flour and baking soda. Stir by hand until moistened.
Gently add in vanilla, pineapple, 1 cup of pecans and two chopped bananas.
Pour into three buttered and floured cake pans.
Bake at 350 degrees or until a toothpick comes out clean. 



Once the cakes have cooled completely, Ice the layers with cream cheese frosting and then the whole cake. Top with chopped toasted pecans. 


Store in fridge until ready to serve.

   

Hummingbird Cake

Ingredients

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 3 large eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 2 cups chopped bananas
  • Cream Cheese Frosting
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans

1 comment:

  1. One of my very favorite cakes of all time!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia