Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Fire Roasted Tomato Soup



One of the wonderful things about fall is soup!! I love all types of soup but I am sorry no canned soup. First of all, a pot of soup is so easy to make and freeze. I always make more than we ever need to freeze the leftovers.




Homemade tomato soup is a wonderful thing. Start with 4 T. butter and add one medium finely diced onion, one medium carrot and celery rib, grated. Saute until they are fully translucent and soft.

Next add 4 T. flour and mix with butter. Cook for several minutes until thoroughly mixed and combined.

Slowly add four cups of chicken stock, 2 cans of fire roasted tomatoes and 2 t. sugar. Bring to a low boil and cook for at least fifteen minutes to heat thoroughly and soften the tomatoes.

Once the soup is cooked, add 1/4 c. of heavy cream.... I added 1/2 c. but I live on the edge. Add salt and pepper to taste. Heat the soup all the way through and then serve. Using a stick blender, I blended the soup until smooth. The men in my house do not like tomato chunks but you can blend it about half way through the soup. Top with croutons or gold fish like I always serve my tomato soup!!

The fire roasted portion add so much flavor to a soup that can be a little bland. Delicious and fast.

Fire Roasted Tomato Soup

4 T. butter
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, grated
4 T. flour
4 c. chicken stock
2 cans of fire roasted tomatoes
2 t. sugar
1/4 c. heavy cream
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper

2 comments:

  1. I will have to try this recipe. The fire roasted tomatoes sound wonderful and I can control how sweet (or not) I would want it to be. Canned tomato soup is way to sweet for me. Thank you! .... Candy

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia