Friday, October 11, 2013

Mini Apple Pie



 Pie is one of our family's favorite dessert, but no one can finish any pie that I make. I have thrown out more half eaten pies than I would like to admit. So I bought some wonderful 6 inch pie pans. Now any pie that I make can be split into three separate pies.



With that in mind, I decided to embrace the bounty of the apple season and whip up some apple pies for the family. I can always freeze the pies that no one eats for a later dinner.

For three mini-pies, take 6 store bought pie crusts and fill the pies.

Next core and peel 6 cups of apples. Combine with 2 T. flour, 3/4 c. sugar, 1 t. cinnamon, 1/4 t. salt, pinch of nutmeg and 1 T. lemon juice.

Toss together and fill the three pie pans.

Cover the top of the pie with the other pie crust and cut away the excess crust. Crimp and make a pretty edge. One thing I did before I put the top pie crust was to cut out with fall shaped pie cutters.

Brush with an egg wash and sprinkle with sugar to make a lovely browned crust.

These pies are the perfect size for a couple and maybe one for the hungry men in your life.... like mine. Pretty and easy. They are easy to fit in the freezer too.

 

1 comment:

  1. What kind of apples do you use? I want to make these for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia